San Juan, Puerto Rico, November 24, 2021 – As Thanksgiving approaches, the LUMA family would like to wish all 3.2 million Puerto Ricans a Happy Thanksgiving and remind customers of the resources available to them during this holiday season.
“Since we began operations of Puerto Rico’s electric transmission and distribution system in June of 2021, we have been hard at work making improvements every single day to improve electric service to our customers,” said LUMA Chief Executive Officer Wayne Stensby. “Our customers are at the core of everything we do. Our more than 3,000-strong workforce have taken significant steps toward transforming the energy system and giving our customers what they deserve, a better customer experience for all Puerto Ricans.”
Today, LUMA reached out to all its customers expressing its gratitude and noted, “in less than six months, we’ve already taken a series of actions to repair, rebuild and strengthen the electrical system.” Some of the actions LUMA has taken so far include:
- Working hard to reduce outage frequency and duration across the system by making substantial infrastructure improvements that include replacing over 1,700 poles and restoring three substations.
- Improving the resiliency of our electric system by replacing equipment that had not been operational since Hurricane Maria, including five critical remote terminal units, one of which hadn’t been operational for over five years.
- Supporting the growth of renewable energy by connecting more than 10,000 new customers and 42 megawatts to solar power.
- Improving customer service by reopening all 25 customer service centers, reducing call answer times, and launching new customer channels of communication, including a new website, the Mi LUMA app and social media channels.
- Clearing and properly disposing of almost 1 million pounds of trash, waste and debris left behind at various worksites across Puerto Rico.
- with several funding agencies, including La Familia and Vivienda, to ensure customers have access to and are educated on available financial relief programs. For more details on these programs, please visit lafamiliapr.com or vivienda.pr.gov.
- Continuing to recruit and invest in employees that are trained to industry standards and that put safety first.
“We will continue to make real and lasting improvements to the energy system. By working together, we will be able to achieve our shared goal of building a world-class energy system the Puerto Rican people deserve and expect. We would like to sincerely thank our customers for their feedback and continued partnership.”
Customers interested in continuing to share feedback, can contact LUMA, 24/7, at 1-844-888-5862 (LUMA) or via Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. To receive the latest information about improvements, please visit www.lumapr.com, register for MiLUMA or download the Mi LUMA app.
LUMA is a Puerto Rican company that, as of June 1, 2021, operates Puerto Rico’s electric power transmission and distribution system.
Since taking over the operations of the transmission and distribution system in June of 2021, LUMA’s 3,000-strong workforce work hard every day to improve the energy grid, customer service, emergency response, and establish a strong foundation with which to build a more reliable, more resilient, and cleaner energy system for the Puerto Rican people.
LUMA is a company driven by the mission to transform the electric transmission and distribution system in order to provide all Puerto Ricans the reliable, resilient, and affordable electric grid they deserve. As a customer-centric company, LUMA’s entire workforce is focused on safely delivering an exceptional customer service experience to our 1.5 million customers.